D.I.Y. Passport Cover

Monday, October 8, 2012

I haven’t done a sewing D.I.Y. project in a while so I thought I’d show how I make passport covers. I used to make these a lot but I kind of forgot about them for a while. However, since the holidays are coming up I thought I’d bring out my old gift giving (or stocking stuffer) patterns so I can have those ready for Christmas. I tweaked this pattern a little by adding some satin ribbon to keep the sleeve closed at all times + I think it’s just a really cute touch.

What you’ll need for this project:
Sewing machine
Cotton fabric (2 types)
Fusible interfacing
Ribbon
Thread
Scissors
Homemade pattern

Step 1: Cut the main part of your pattern to 8 ¾” x 6 ½” in size, and cut another piece of paper (the side flaps) to 2 ½” x 6 ½” in size. Then don’t forget to mark them so in the future you’ll know what they are. I have tons of homemade patterns and trust me when I say it helps to name them ;-) 
Step 2: Cut 1 main passport cover piece using your outer fabric and 2 flap pieces. Don’t forget to cut the flap pieces on a fold like so: (super important)
…you’ll end up with this: 

Step 3: Cut the same pieces using your fusible interfacing. (<<click link for fusible interfacing example). 
Step 4: Cut 1 main passport cover piece using your lining fabric. 
Step 5: Press (iron) the fusible interfacing to your main fabric pieces and fold the flap pieces in half and press like so:

Step 6: prepare your ribbon pieces.
Step 7: attach ribbon like so on the left and right side of the main part of the passport cover. 
Step 8: Place the flaps on both the left and right side of the main piece with the open sides facing out. 
Step 9: Place your lining over the main piece, ribbon, and flaps with right sides together. Next sew all the way around, and don’t forget to backstitch where you want to leave your opening!

Step 10: Trim the corners. 
Step 11: Open the bottom and turn inside out. 

Step 12: Edge-stitch all the way around the case. 
You’re finished! 

8 comments:

  1. i got lost. LOL i dunno what fusable fabric is, back stitching, or edge stitching. =/ how about adding a little vocab legend? for us simpleton folk. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for letting me know Jess! I've updated the blog with some links, but I think next time I'll list them with definitions! I didn't think about that the first time around, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so adorable! Thanks for the tutorial! I'm feeling the pressure to get some homemade Christmas gifts churned out...

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow!! this is amazing!!! I actually should give it a try, I was thinking about buying one, but maybe I can do it myself :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah! Give it a try! They are so cute and fun to make--you'll probably end up makin' more and giving them away as gifts :-D

      Delete
  5. Hii I´m Barbora!
    I´ve just discovered your blog! I think your DIYs are awesome!! So easy to create things! But they are BEAUITFUL♥ Thanks for sharing :)

    xx Barbora♥

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was such a good tutorial thank you! I changed the sizes a little to make it more snug on my UK passport but it was really easy to follow :) I posted about mine here: http://creativesaturdays.wordpress.com/2014/03/09/his-and-hers-passport-covers/ :)

    ReplyDelete

Proudly designed by | mlekoshiPlayground |