How to Carve Your Own Stamps

Wednesday, January 23, 2013

I absolutely love collecting stamps but lately I've been feeling like I’d like to try creating my very own one of-a-kind stamps. A few years ago, my sister bought me a stamp carving kit and I've just had it sitting in my closet—so I pulled it out, and used some of my own drawings to carve a few stamps.

Here’s what I used:
-Tracing paper
-Pencil
-Ink
-Paper
First, I flipped through my sketch book and found the two drawings I wanted to turn into stamps. Next, I cut out a piece of tracing paper, placed it over my hand drawn image and traced it using a pencil.
Next, I placed that traced image over a piece of rubber, with the penciled image facing down, and rubbed it onto the rubber using the soft tip of the carving tool.
Once the image was transferred I cut it out (so I didn't have to maneuver a huge piece of rubber while carving); and, I began to carve. I started out with the thinner tip—in order to carve the image with precision. Then I used the large carving tip to remove the rest.
Once I had removed the access, I tested it out onto a piece of card stock, and removed any remaining pieces that I didn’t need. When I was happy with the finished results I used my new stamp on a piece of card stock that I folded into a A2 size card, and used my pink (RV11) Copic marker to color in the rest. I’m so happy with how it turned out, and I can’t wait to start stamping in different colors!

16 comments:

  1. Oh man! I love the pattern you chose! you're a crafting animal friend grr. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice tutorial. I tried to do some stamp carving a while back but they didn't come out that great. I'm thinking it's because I wasn't using the right tools. I'd like to get back into it so I can stamp my own fabric.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! I've thought about stamping on fabric too. That would be so nice!

      Delete
  3. That is so neat, Nicole! Thanks for showing us how you did that! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow that's so cool!! You could do so much with that kit!
    ~Sara

    ReplyDelete
  5. Super cute! I love the pattern and many patterns can be made from this !

    ReplyDelete
  6. Soooo cool!!! I have a tutorial for DIY stamp-carving, but like your kit was sitting in the back of the closet, so does my tutorial booklet. I think if I could actually draw, I'd be more motivated. But my kids are more artistic like that, not me!
    Your stamps came out so great! I'd buy one from you! =0)
    Love the card, and I'm seriously loving your Copic markers (I want some of those).
    ~Kim

    ReplyDelete
  7. You make this look so easy! I have always wanted to carve my own! In high school I carved what was supposed to be Native American art on a stamp, but that didn't go quite well. Maybe I'll give it another try. Yours looks perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love doing this! I haven't done it in years, but I LOVE how yours turned out!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Woow I haven´t tried it yet, but I would love to. I REALLY like your job! Those Leopard prints look amazing♥ Gr888 joob!!


    xx Barbora♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  10. Omg this is so cool!! I didn't know you can make your own stamps! I like the cloud one! Very cute! =)

    Ergo-Blog

    ReplyDelete
  11. Carving on paper Maude White - http://allfreefoto.ru/6016-maude-white.html

    ReplyDelete

Proudly designed by | mlekoshiPlayground |