DIY Chalkboard To-Do List Frame

Monday, August 12, 2013

I’m definitely one of those crafters that is obsessed with the popular chalkboard theme; and, a while back I’d purchased some of the Martha Stewart chalkboard paint in hopes to create a cool blog post with it. But days, weeks, then months went by without making anything with it because I kept thinking about the dry time and the mess it would make—so I kept that post on the back burner. But! When I was at Michaels last weekend I noticed that they had chalkboard cardstock, and I was so excited to try it. To me, this Chalkboard cardstock made this post ten times easier, and there was hardly any mess.

What I love about this idea is that it’s super cheap. The total project was under $5.00 (but I had most of the tools needed to make this) for me, but if you don’t have some of the items I’m using to make this ‘to do list’ it will definitely cost more. I purchased the 5x7 frame from the dollar store, but you can use a frame that is any size. Now that I’ve tried this I really think I’d like to make a bigger one (but not go over the 12x12 size of course). 
The tools: 5x7 frame, chalkboard card stock, white embossing powder, heating tool, white ink pad, paper towel, stamps, versamark ink, and paper trimmer. 
1. I took my chalkboard cardstock and cut it down to a 5x7 piece, using my paper trimmer. Next, I removed the faux picture from the frame and tested out my chalkboard piece to ensure it was a perfect fit.
2. Next, I grabbed one of the banner stamps from the Lawn Fawn stamp set, Bannerific (click here to view the set), I placed it on my acrylic block, applied some versamark ink, and sprinkled some white embossing powder over it. Next, I heat set it using my Martha Stewart heating tool. If you've never embossed using powder, versamark, and a heating tool click here for a beginners tutorial--I just Googled and found this great video. 
3. To add the sentiment I used an alphabet stamp set by LF, Smitty’s ABCs (click here to view the set); and, repeated the embossing process. 
 4. Once that was finished I thought I’d grab another LF stamp set, Let it Snow (click here to view), and add a few star bursts’. I LOVED how it came out!
5. Next, I took my, Hampton Art, white pigment ink and used a paper towel to rub on my faux chalk distress markings. I’m hoping that when I need to completely clean off the words I’ll write on this chalkboard frame with water, these pigment ink distress markings will still be there, since this ink is supposed to be permanent, but we'll see. 
Once that was completed, it was basically done. I placed the chalkboard to do list into the frame, and added the glass in as a backing—to make it even sturdier (oh, and don’t forget to include the original backing as well) Now it’s ready for me to use, and I can’t wait. I’m going to have this on my desk for sure!
On the weekend this is what it’ll say ^^ hehe. 

14 comments:

  1. This is so so cute! I've used the chalkboard spray paint and sometimes the paint comes off when you press too hard, so this looks like a better option!
    ~Sara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sara! I've tried the spray paint version also--and I didn't like the end result. This cardstock is now my new favorite thing. It's such great quality, too. I found it at Michaels for $1.99 per 12x12 sheet. Not to bad :-)

      Delete
  2. I need to get to Michaels to get some of this cardstock! Thanks for this awesome DIY, Nicole. =0)
    ~Kim

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Kim! Yes, you need to give it a try! It's so much fun + it's thick and great quality :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very fun project! Thanks for sharing. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this! I want a chalkboard wall in my place, but this gives me the chance for mobility.
    Thanks for sharing. Also, love the use of embossing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you! I've been dreaming of having a chalkboard wall too! But I haven't done it yet, hehe. You're so right, though, that this way it's mobile and I can put it in a lot of different places. Even make much bigger ones to have a collection of them too :-) Thanks for commenting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excellent! You come up with the most creative ideas, Nicole, this one is just really special! Sorry I missed you last weekend at LF.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Nancy! I know I didn't see you on Sat I heard you weren't feeling to good. Hope you're feeling better. I'll be there again on Sunday though :-D

      Delete
  8. That is soo cute!! Really good idea!

    Xx Barbora

    ReplyDelete
  9. Super adorable. I would love an oversized one! ^^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Dana! I think I'm gonna try makin' one :-D

      Delete

Proudly designed by | mlekoshiPlayground |