Handmade Stocking Stuffer

Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Stocking stuffers tend to become an afterthought as I put most of my time and energy into thinking of how I’m going to decorate for Christmas in a new way, decide what gifts to buy my loved ones, and what outfit I’m going to wear. But this year I wanted to make a stocking stuffer that had a lot of thought and effort put into it and I came up with these mini note cards that can be placed into a festive tin box and used year round.
Holiday themed tins come in a wide variety of sizes and designs at our local craft stores like Michaels and Joanns. I found this particular owl tin at my Joanns; and, I was pleasantly surprised to see that their selection of Christmas merchandise was already 50% off. I think it’s super cool that tin boxes never really go out of style, and as time goes on the tin designs get cuter and cuter. Larger tin boxes can also be used for storing handmade stationary too. I can imagine a larger tin holding handmade note cards, envelope seals and tags, all separated by handmade partitions. 

Lawn Fawn, You've Got Mail
Every time I’m thinking of making whimsical paper art I always turn to my growing stash of Lawn Fawn stamps. For this project I’m using my newest set, ‘You’ve got mail’, and my Miss Caroline set by, My Mind’s Eye.

I started by cutting a piece of ivory card stock at 3” x 4 ½” and I rounded off the corners using my corner rounder punch—this way it’ll fit perfectly into the tin. Next I used the doily stamp from my Miss Caroline set, and used a pale pink chalk ink to add some cute boarders to the top and bottom of the note card. Next use my mini flag banner stamp all the way at the top of the card for extra added cuteness, hehe.  Next I whipped out my Lawn Fawn stamps and used my, Love ‘n Breakfast, set to create the floating hearts behind the mail box and colored them in with pink stamp markers—stamp markers work so well and they don’t bleed into the paper leaving a shadow behind the paper. After doing that I used the ‘sending love your way’ sentiment and also used the postage stamp in light blue and light green over the text.
Once that was finished I took the mail box and stamped that image onto a piece of blue and white patterned paper, and stamp the envelope image onto a piece of white card stock. Next I cut out the mail box and adhered it to the mini note card using my clear Tombo Mono liquid glue. After that I cut out the small envelope and cut the corner of the bottom left side off. That way I could glue it to the mail box and have it look like it’s on its way into the mail box. When I was completely finished I placed all the mini note cards into the tin and wrapped it up in a glassine envelope, bakers twine, and a handmade snowflake seal.

Make your stocking stuffers special this year and make them yourself! These mini note cards are perfect for everyone and anyone— simply create a note card that fits the recipients personality using a computer, stamps, or even hand drawings. The possibilities are endless. Cheers to making it yourself! 

3 comments:

  1. These are so cute. LOVE the mix of stamps..The pink doily edge is my fav!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your stocking stuffer idea! Tins are awesome, and you got that cute owl one for such a great price. =0) Those cards are super cute too.
    ~Kim
    http://2justByou.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my gosh, this is so cute! i adore this idea!

    lindsey louise

    hellomrrabbit.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Proudly designed by | mlekoshiPlayground |